The Lawrence Hopewell Trail (LHT) is a multipurpose trail, open to bicyclists, walkers, joggers, hikers and skaters. Please be courteous to all trail users.
The LHT is open year-round from dawn to dusk, weather permitting. If snow or rain renders any segment of the LHT impassable by foot or bike, please refrain from using it.
Trail users must stop and move off trail when law enforcement, patrol, maintenance or other emergency vehicles approach.
Cyclists must obey all New Jersey laws that pertain to bicyclists and pedestrians, including:
- STOPPING: at all road crossings
- YIELDING: to vehicle traffic, slower traffic and pedestrians.
- PASSING: cautiously and on the left of slower-moving users
- SIGNAL: giving an audible signal when passing.
For everyone’s safety, and as a considerate trail user, please follow these guidelines:
• No headphones or earphones while cycling.
• Protective gear, including helmets, is encouraged for all users. In New Jersey, any person under 17 years of age that rides a bicycle or is a passenger on a bicycle or is towed as a passenger by a bicycle must wear a safety helmet. This helmet law also applies to roller and inline skaters and skateboard users.
• No motorized vehicles, other than electric wheelchairs and electric bikes, are permitted on the trail. Horseback riders can use sections of the trail in Mercer Meadows.
• Please do not trespass onto adjacent privately-owned lands or wander onto property clearly posted NO TRESPASSING.
• Pets are permitted on the trail provided they are on a hand-held leash no longer than six feet and the owner removes waste.
• No alcohol.
• Fires are not permitted.
• Please park bikes away from trail corridor and do not leave them unattended.
• In case of emergency, dial 911 and provide name and location.
• Maintenance issues should be reported to the LHT at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please see the full list of New Jersey Biking Regulations.