LHT Historic Site – Johnson Trolley Line
Johnson Trolley Line
The trolley is named after Albert Johnson, a Kentucky native who operated a streetcar company in Cleveland and then acquired franchises in Indiana, Pennsylvania, New Jersey and New York.
An enthusiast for electric railways, he eventually took an active part in the building of the London Underground. He dreamed of an electriﬁed trolley system connecting Philadelphia and New York City, which would have passed through Lawrenceville, but planning was cut short by his death in 1901.
The Johnson Trolley Line was purchased in 1929 by the Reading Railroad, which ran local freight service until 1973. This no doubt accounts for the boxcar sitting on the siding just east of the station in 1940 when this aerial photograph was taken.
The two-story brick building to your right at the southeast corner of James Street and Phillips Avenue has a very domestic appearance.
It is actually the former Johnson Trolley Line combination station, ofﬁce and powerhouse. The old trolley building has been restored in recent years by owner Gary Hullﬁsh. The cast-iron railroad crossing sign is a custom reproduction.