The mission of the LHT is:
To enhance the Lawrence Township and Hopewell Township communities by planning, designing, implementing, and maintaining a safer public system of biking and pedestrian trails with Bristol-Myers Squibb and Educational Testing Service serving as anchors for the trail to which other paths and projects might connect.
- Is designed to provide residents and visitors with greater and more personal access
- Is designed to be a safer alternative to roadways and contribute to the reduction of accidents
- Is designed to be family-friendly and handicapped accessible, wherever possible.
- Is intended to encourage healthy lifestyles, including exercise and physical fitness
- Hosts alternative modes of transportation connecting businesses, shops, restaurants, schools, parks, open spaces, and transportation nodes to reduce reliance on automobiles, conserve energy, and combat pollution
- Is constructed using environmentally friendly construction techniques whenever possible
- Provides free recreational opportunities
- Is a hub that provides links with other planned and existing local trail systems
- Increases property values
- Is a community activity producing a community amenity
- Is a model for the development of private-public partnerships and shared services
- Is an advocacy platform for cyclists and pedestrian issues such as access and safety